Sunday 2 March 2014

Manners maketh man.

... or so says the motto of Winchester College.

However, after a trip to Her Majesty's theatre in London last year, to see The Phantom of the Opera, I was left undeniably shocked at how much some people lack these.

Knowing that the Olympic and Paralympic games had yet to close, I knew there was likely to be a more diverse range of people in the audience. Everybody has the right to experience the delights of London's West End... right?

Being nineteen years old, I'm in the age group that is stereotypically classed as bad mannered. Even at Norwich's Theatre Royal, I have been spoken down to by theatre staff who made me feel like I was there watching simply for a laugh. Whether this was because I was attending alone, or because I was considerably younger than the majority of the audience, I am uncertain.


Having travelled down to London with a friend, we took our seats in the Grand Circle, in the centre of row C - I booked these with the knowledge that they had been well reviewed on 'TheatreMonkey' and would offer a great view for a great price.
The theatre quickly became full and we found the two rows in front of us were almost completely occupied by those visiting from outside of the UK. At this point, it pleased me enormously to know that these people had come, just like me, to marvel at the theatrical talent and experiences that London has to offer.

Little did I know that as soon as the overture started and the chandelier swings into life, the front row of people would be practically hanging over the rail of the Grand Circle, with the second row having to follow suit to get a view of the stage. Now, sitting in the third row, this meant that we would either have to lean forward too, or be denied a view of part of the stage. The former being uncomfortable and the latter being simply annoying.

I am aware that the railing does somewhat restrict the view, but I did not realise that sitting three rows back, my view would be compromised also.

I was also shocked by the lack of etiquette shown by the gentleman to my left
. Not for a moment do I dispute that the production is funny in places, especially during scenes were Carlotta and/or the Manager's are present. I pleases me enormously to hear and join in with the titters in appreciation of the actors' interpretations. But to heartily cackle during the solemn, "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again"? If there is comedy in this heart-wrenching song, I certainly have yet to find it.
Another thing, which didn't affect me at this particular performance, but has done previously is people turning up late. I remember seeing Les Miserables last year, and having to stand to allow people to take their seats the other side of me. Considering we were row C stalls, having to do this affected a very large proportion of the audience, not just our row!

I've even been in the Norwich Theatre Royal, during the UK Tour of Goodnight Mister Tom, to hear a man nearby  incessantly talk on his mobile phone! If you've paid for the experience of what was an excellent piece of live theatre, why would you ruin it for yourself and others, by taking a phone-call?

The majority of theatre goers are not like this at all and I love to share my experiences and views with those chatty people nearby, but at appropriate times. By this I mean at the interval and the stage door!

I'm sure those of you who also have theatre-related blogs on here will have similar stories to tell, and in all honesty, it saddens me to think that people can be so unappreciative of the actors, musicians and technical crews who have spent hours to create enjoyable theatrical experiences.



2 comments:

  1. I also experienced this strange phenomenon of people laughing at inappropriate moments recently. It was at Sweeney Todd. There are darkly comedic scenes in this show and laughing at these moments is a great sign that you're appreciating it.

    However, laughing during the genuinely disturbing moments is rude to both performers and other audience members. If it had been out of discomfort, then even that I could understand, but it seemed to me two people (who weren't together) were having a laughing competition!! every time one laughed the other would laugh louder/ longer.

    It was obvious that they weren't regular theatregoers but surely you don't need to be; Surely a general sense of what's appropriate is enough? :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to go to bed and I stumbled across this - and feel so passionately about it I am going to stay up a little longer to comment! I genuinely believe people need to be trained to behave appropriately at the theatre nowadays...yes, it would be lovely to send everyone on a course and only let those who pass into theatres, but realistically all we need to do is bring up our children properly! I have been called a snob and a dictator for my views but honestly, there are so many slobs who simply do not know how to be polite and respectful of others, this is no wonder as they probably spend most evenings eating junk food in front of the tv. I used to work at Norwich Theatre Royal, front of house, and often had to ask people to 'behave themselves'. The verbal abuse I'd receive was astonishing; the 'I've paid for this seat so I can do what I want' attitude disgusted me - sure I wanted them to enjoy themselves, but not at the expense of other paying customers' enjoyment. I had to tell them off for eating or talking loudly, using phones etc even sleeping and snoring! As an audience member, my pet hate is when people in front move side to side or lean forward, whinging 'I can't see!" constantly too each other. Yes, I'll admit some of our lovely theatres have restricted views but, if your director is worth his salt, the production should make sure that everyone gets a fair view at some point - if everyone sits back and sits still. Most upsetting of all though are impolite or unprofessional theatre staff. I too have been spoken down to for years for a) attending alone and b) being a 'young' person (not that young anymore though). It disgusts me - how are we to encourage younger people to become theatre-goers if they are treated like trespassers?! Also, I have had to leave shows (at the interval, I'll have you know, so not to disturb others) when I could hear the bar staff and their activities above what was happening on stage - OUTRAGEOUS! Sadly, selling tickets, merch, drinks, snacks (incl. pop corn!), sweets etc etc is the most important to the theatres it seems - rather than the 'theatrical experience', and it's why I had to give up working at the theatre - it all seemed so cynical and spoiled my enjoyment of the thing I loved most. I now choose shows as carefully as possible and try to get the expensive seats even though I can't really afford it - usually, but not always, this seems to be the best way of avoiding badly behaved theatre-goers, and that is a very sad thing - it's creating a division that we should have got rid of with the Victorians. Wherever you sit, no matter how much you pay, you are entitled to full enjoyment of the show - as are your fellow audience members. Okay, RANT OVER. PS. Thank god for Am-Dram where, on the whole, our audiences seem much more respectful!

    ReplyDelete